Friday, May 11, 2007

lesson #1: talk to people

At some point, I'll write more about strategies for finding a job outside of academia and such, but for now let's start with a few statistics about my job search:

- Number of months between leaving postdoc and securing new job: 8 1/2

- Number of resumes with customized cover letters sent out during this time: about 50

- Number of formal interviews: 4 1/2 (I never figured out if my third interview was for real or not, so I'm counting it as half an interview)

- Income during this time period: $0

- Number of part-time (10-30 hours/week) volunteer jobs done during this time: 3

Scientists out there, you could interpret these results in many ways, no? In terms of how these numbers fit in with the experiences of other academic refugees, I'm not sure. The only thing I am really sure of about my refugee status is this: It fucking sucked.

For 8 1/2 months, I felt like I had severe head wounds from banging my head against the wall that I had to neatly cover up each time I went begging for a job in my new suit. I jumped up and down screaming "I'm here! I'm smart! Hire me!" until I was hoarse. I put on song and dance routines for the many kind strangers who granted me informational interviews (another topic for a future post).

In the end, though, the head-banging, the screaming, the singing, and the dancing, didn't get me a job. What got me a job was all of the genuine hard work I'd done as a graduate student.

When I started applying for non-academic jobs, I sent a quick email to the three people who had furnished letters of reference for all of my academic job applications asking them if they would still provide letters for me for this new breed of applications. They all said yes, but only one of them -- committee member X -- asked what kind of job I was looking for. I emailed him some of my general ideas, and never heard back. In my mind, I thought "It's true. They all think I'm a failure."

About five months after I sent that email, I got a call from X out of the blue. He was calling to find out whether I would be interested in a job at his university. He described the job and I nearly fell over. It was *perfect*. I had described a job like this -- but not quite as cool -- to friends and family. My qualifications were perfect. He hadn't called anyone else. I am starting on Monday.

Having spent over 20 years in school, I really wanted to believe that the old adage "It's not what you know, it's who you know" wasn't true. I wanted my resume to speak for itself, and to some extent it did. On its own a resume can say a lot of things. Mine basically says "I'm a nerd, but I just got my braces off, so I'm cool now." X knew that I was a nerd, and my qualifications were a big part of why I got the job. As important, though, was the fact that we had worked together in the past. X and I wrote two papers together -- I was first author on one, and he was first author on the other. We worked well together and had a great deal of respect for each other. There are plenty of other people out there with resumes like mine, but X hadn't worked with them before.

And so we come to the first, and most important lesson when looking for a job:

Talk to people. Every single person you know is an important contact, and they need to know what kind of gig you're looking for. Even more fundamental than that, they need to know that you're looking for a job. Don't be afraid to tell them, whether they are former advisers or relatives. These people already know you and, hopefully, think well of you. So if they are ever in a position to suggest someone for a job, they'll think of you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is undoubtedly true in every facet of job hunting (if not life) that talking and knowing people is important. a couple of comments:
1) a 8.5 months wait to get your dream job might seem short to some :)
2) besides sending out resumes & cover letters, were you attending workshops/meetings/conferences - meeting people and marketing yourself - in the fields that you were interested in breaking into?

then perhaps you could expound a little on your 4.5 interview experiences. what were they like (particularly in constrast to the typical academia interview process) and what did you learn?

ivory schmower said...

Thanks for the comments! You're right that ending up with a dream job after just 8.5 months is not too bad :) It's day 2 on the job, and so far it's still seeming like a dream job!

I was definitely doing lots of networking during my job hunt, so I'll put together a post or two about that whole process. And I did learn a lot from the interviews I had, so that deserves a post as well. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Anonymous said...

I think its great you left academia for something more fulfilling. My main question is, why did you quit your postdoc before finding your new job? Did you hate it so much that you had to leave immediately? I ask because I've been looking for a new, non-academic job, and I'm closing in on six months now, but I'm still working at my postdoc. For me its not realistic to quit before I have a new job. Plus I'd rather be engaged in research and gaining more experience, than not working.

Just curious. Thanks.