Tuesday, August 7, 2007

welcome home

This creepy thing was on my stoop when I got home tonight. I think it's the exoskeleton of a bumblebee, or maybe a honeybee. It's clearly hollow and, uh, dead, but strangely intact.

Perhaps it's a sign of my infinite nerdiness, or perhaps it's a reflection of how dull I am, but this specimen brightened my day a bit.

Being the new kid in town is tough, man. I keep waiting for the day when I don't have any more IDs to obtain, trainings to go to, and insurance forms to fill out. The day when I don't have to look at my well-worn campus map to figure out how to get to yet another introductory meeting with yet another new face. Then there's the more elusive stuff. Will there come a day when I have friends here? Will I someday feel like part of a community?

Forms or friends, I know that these things just take time. I will complete the 8-hour defensive driver training course that will allow me to drive our departmental truck. I will somehow find like-minded people who have stories and bottles of wine and time to share.

Right now, with the boyfriend away fixing up our escape pod, and the neighbors chattering away in a language I can't understand, it feels like just me and what used to be a bee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a cicada husk. They climb up out of the ground and molt about this time of year. They are also the ones that make the nice summertime sounds near twilight. I always loved searching for these when I was smaller. They are really cool bugs.

Just Me said...

It kind of looks like a locust shell. We used to collect them when we were kids. Talk about weird. But I still pick them up and ogle then whenever I see them.